Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It's about the relationships

I say this all the time to my clients: It's not just price, it's the relationship:

The Marketing Minute


Who is turning off your customers?

Posted: 13 Oct 2008 09:29 AM CDT

Maggie There's a new member of the McLellan family. Maggie the mostly lab puppy. When you get a new baby, you need to take her to the doctor, right?

Our old vet is great, but 20 minutes away. And the last time I was there, we had to put our 13 year old lab to sleep. So, I thought maybe it was time to try someone new.

I got a reference from a co-worker. Word of mouth -- check. This was going to work out perfectly.

I walk in to the clinic and I am acknowledged by Michael. It wasn't really a greeting. More like a non verbal sigh. So Michael leads Maggie and me into one of the exam rooms and begins to run through the intake questions.

We were in the room together for about 10 minutes, with Maggie sitting on the exam table. Michael never stopped to pet her or even greet her. He didn't say she was cute or sweet or even how lucky she was to be rescued from a shelter. It was like she wasn't even there. And if you've been around an 8 week old puppy -- they're a little tough to miss. I don't know anyone who can resist a puppy. But do I want the guy who can providing care for my dog?

Total turn off. I called the old vet from the exam room as soon as he left.

When we got to the old vet's and the front desk tech (who I did not recognize or know) squealed "look at the adorable puppy!" I knew I'd made the right call. I didn't just want a competent vet. I wanted a clinic where they'll love her. Or at least scratch her behind the ears a bit.

Do your employees squeal when they see a prospect walk in the door? Do they give them a good scratch?

Do you actually have any idea what happens when your customer or prospect walks in your front door? Or calls? Or e-mails? Do you have an employee who doesn't share your passion or vision? Do your employees know how you want your clients to be greeted or welcomed?

Do you know if they're turning off your customers?

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: