Monday, January 10, 2011

The Marketing BIG Picture


Every Tuesday at 6am, I update another marketing blog, The Not-So-Secret Writings of ScLoHo. It all began a few years ago when my wife suggested I write a book on Marketing.

My response was, "I'll write it a chapter at a time in the form of a blog."

The Not-So-Secret Writings of ScLoHo
has been online since 2007 and now in 2011, I'll share parts of it here.

At the end of 2010 I was reflecting on some recent conversations I had about the subjects of sales, advertising, social media, and coupons.

That's a lot of stuff, but there is a common thread and it is they all fall under the topic of Marketing when you use my definition:

"Marketing includes anything and everything that exposes you, your business, your service, your product to the marketplace of buyers, clients, customers, prospects, and influencers of all of the above."

Now, I realize that this is a much bigger box, than most people like to put "Marketing" into.

But, in this time we are living, we are exposed to more and more marketing messages than our parents, grandparents, or any previous generation.

"If there is a flat surface, we can slap an advertisement on it", is so old school these days.

20 years ago my Pepsi can had advertising on it for events like the State Fair. These days we have football players wearing pink in October to promote Breast Cancer Awareness.

But besides the advertising side, there are also your employees who create impressions on customers and potential customers by their behavior, by their appearance, and by their personality.

Think for a moment about the person who answers your phone. Is She/He pleasant, understandable, helpful? Or is answering the phone a job they hate and it was passed on to them on top of their other duties? (This example comes from the radio stations I work for that put the wrong person in charge of the phone for a couple weeks.)

In the weeks ahead in 2011, we'll touch on all of these areas of Marketing as I defined them on The Not-So-Secret Writings of ScLoHo.

And over the New Years Holiday, I launched another blog with the focus on Social Media. It is updated weekdays at noon and we are just getting started with ScLoHo's Social Media Adventure. Click here to go there

The Not-So-Secret Writings of ScLoHo is updated every Tuesday morning. Click here to go there.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: