Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Mini Lessons


From a recent email from Art:


Greetings,

Each month in my Telephone Prospecting and Selling Report
eight-page newsletter, my Sales Observations column
contains mini sales lessons that I have seen and
experienced over the past month. Here is an example
from one of the issues.

(Also, if you'd like to see an actual issue of the entire newsletter
go to http://www.businessbyphone.com/NewSite/tsrsubinfo.htm )


This Week's Tip:
Assorted Sales Observations

What is Your Ultimate Result?
I often talk about the ultimate benefits or results
you offer, and how those are the reasons why
people are interested in speaking with you,
and buying. While half-listening to the pre-flight
announcements from the captain on a recent flight,
he authoritatively said,

"... and even if you've heard these things thousands
of times before, I suggest you pay attention, because
you might just hear something that could save your life."

Given some of the air tragedies and near-misses lately
THAT got my attention. And it caused me to ponder
about the ultimate benefits and results we offer as
salespeople. What is yours? It's not the product or
service you offer, it's always the RESULT


Another Example of an Appealing Result
Received a call from a guy selling high-end corporate tour packages
to the Masters golf tournament. He said his lead generators target
business executives and owners. They normally leave messages with
screeners and on voice mail.

They simply say, "Please tell Mr. Big that we have openings to go the
Masters. If he'd like more info, please call 800-000-0000."

The calls come directly to the salesperson, and the rate of return
calls is well over 75%. Of course, we all don't have a product like the
Masters to sell, but is there something about the result of your product
or service that can have a similar effect?


What is Your Credibility Statement?
While doing a client seminar on the east coast, I heard
a radio commercial for a real estate mortgage broker.
He said,

"I have personally closed over one BILLION dollars
worth of mortgages over the past seven years. Do you
want to trust your biggest purchase ever to someone
with little experience?"

A billion is a lot. That got my attention, and prompted
me to think about experience and credibility statements.
Think of the statement that expresses your own credibility
and experience. As the old saying goes, "It ain't bragging
if you've done it!"


Little Things Mean Everything
In response to my call, one of my vendors left an after-hours
voice mail. He said he was on the road and picked up my
message late, and would call back the next day, which he did.

Nice touch. Sure, it seems small on the surface, but it's the
little things done consistently that build and keep relationships.


A Quick Returned Phone Call Got the Business
Speaking of the little things and returning phone calls, I had
a little drain issue over the weekend and had to call a plumber.
It reminded of a great contrast in sales experiences I had a couple
of years ago with plumbers.

I arrived at my lake house I had at the time to discover the water
pump had fried. No water, and therefore no air conditioning because
I had a heat pump. Called my regular plumber there. He didn't
work on pumps, but gave me the numbers of the only two guys
within 20 miles who did.

With the first, the guy's wife answered and said he could get back
to me "maybe tomorrow." Left a message on the other guy's voice
mail. He called within the hour, but said he was swamped the rest
of the week. I told him the other guy would be calling back tomorrow,
but that whoever could get it done the quickest would get the business.

He said he was about 10 miles away and could stop by when he was
done with that job. He did, analyzed the damage which wasn't as bad
as thought, and fixed it right then and there. He made a couple extra
hundred bucks for just a few minutes work that day because he returned
a call quickly and got a shot at the business.



Assumptions Can Be Fatal
Be cautious about making assumptions. Be even more careful of voicing
them. As I was working on this newsletter at my house, a door-to-door
salesperson (a woman) stopped by to drop off a flyer for a home delivery
milk service, and mentioned a special 20% discount that wasn't on the flyer.

I told her we'd take a look at it. She said, "Are you going to remember this,
since guys normally don't remember when they tell their wives." Big mistake.
I informed her that I actually do much of the grocery shopping and cooking
when I'm home.

No chance I'll be getting milk from them.

Reminds me of taking an incoming call from a guy that sounded like he
was drunk, wasn't very intelligent, and had speech problems. Not a very
positive impression in my mind, to say the least. I immediately discounted
him as someone who probably wanted some free information and wasn't
going to be worth my time. Wrong! As it turns out, the guy was the owner
of a fairly good-sized company. I did a nice piece of business with them.

Had I gone with my early assumption and disqualified him quickly--
instead of asking plenty of questions like I always do--I would have
missed out terribly.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than
those who try nothing and succeed."

Lloyd Jones

Contact: Art Sobczak, President, Business By Phone Inc. 13254 Stevens St.,
Omaha, NE 68137,
(402) 895-9399. Or, email:arts@businessbyphone.com

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: