Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ask Again


An excerpt from ART Sobczak's weekly newsletter:

I had the opportunity to attend a fundraising
dinner as part of a celebrity golf tournament for
Arizona youth baseball. Got to meet a few Hall of
Fame Major League baseball players...very cool.
(Also spent a small fortune on a rare Roberto
Clemente autographed baseball I won at the oral
auction. Oh well, it was for the kids.)

During the dinner, kids were working the crowd
selling raffle tickets. I had already purchased
five $20 tickets earlier at the door, and a young lady
(fourth grade as I found out) approached our table and
very confidently asked,

"Would you like to buy some raffle tickets?"

I smiled and told her I already had bought mine.

Now, I was impressed that these kids were
approaching adults and asking for money (although
I'm sure they do it to their parents all the
time...different scenario), so I tried to be as
gentle as possible in saying no.

She totally surprised me when she said,

"That's OK. Buy another one from me."

I had nothing! Brilliant! Of course I had
to buy some.

That's a great example of someone not being
deterred by an initial no, and, in fact, being
prepared for it, and then asking again.

I actually had no good reason for not buying
another one-it was a fund raising event after all.

Quick, what is your response when you get an
initial no (which probably is not a real reason
for not buying)?

Contact: Art Sobczak, President, Business By Phone Inc. 13254 Stevens St.,
Omaha, NE 68137,
(402) 895-9399. Or, email:arts@businessbyphone.com

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: