Friday, May 23, 2008

Closing by Connecting


The word closing has multiple meanings.

If you are a business owner that is struggling to survive, you may be closing your doors.

If you are in sales, closing is usually a positive term referring to the final step in the initial sales process.

This post is about another type of closing.

It's about getting closer.

Closing the six degrees of separation to one or two.

Awhile ago I registered myself at LinkedIn.com but did nothing with it.

Then I saw a series of articles from Jill Konrath on how to use LinkedIn.

But still I waited.

About a week ago, Joe Dager, who lives here in Fort Wayne, Indiana sent me an invitation to join LinkedIn.com as one of his connections.

I thought to myself, "I really should follow through on this", and I did one evening last week.

I imported my email contacts and watched as LinkedIn.com told me which of them were all ready on.

Then at a business meeting last Thursday morning, I told about 25 people about LinkedIn.com and some of them are now on it.

So what is LinkedIn.com?

First, it is a professional social networking tool. It can help you cut down the six degrees of separation to just a couple.

Second, it is a way to reconnect with long lost friends and business acquaintances.

Third, (and this is my favorite), it is free.

Here's some of what has happened since in one week. I have 43 connections right now that I can contact with the push of a button.

Your Network of Trusted Professionals

You are at the center of your network. Your connections can introduce you to 59,500+ professionals — here’s how your network breaks down:
Your Connections
Your trusted friends and colleagues
43
Two degrees away
Friends of friends; each connected to one of your connections
800+
Three degrees away
Reach these users through a friend and one of their friends
58,600+
Total users you can contact through an Introduction 59,500+

I am including another free e-book link on the right side of this page along with right here.
Click and download Jill Konrath's guide to Linked in.


Jill is a self described "technophobe" and she tells her story along with hints on how and why to use the free LinkedIn.com service.

Now if you are that business owner that is closing your doors, maybe there is help through LinkedIn.com

Or if you are that salesperson LinkedIn.com might help open more doors to help you close more.

Finally, I invite you to click on my LinkedIn.com profile by clicking here.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: