Thursday, March 05, 2009

Are You In or Out?


I get interesting responses from folks when I ask them, if they are on Twitter. I know a few folks in town that are on, and I even encouraged a few family members to sign up. But it wasn't until yesterday when I got an email from a major client of mine, asking if our radio stations or jocks had twitter accounts.

I made sure we did. Latest word is 11% of all online adults have a twitter account. 900% growth, these are impressive numbers, but what are the pros, cons and uses?

To be honest, we are just discovering. Here's my advice. Today, go to twitter.com and sign up for an account just to reserve your name. We discovered that someone else had registered our favorite name for the radio station, so we had to go with our 2nd choice.

For more on Twitter and business, take a look at this from the THINKing blog:

Twitter: Time Waster Or Cool Tool?

Posted: 04 Mar 2009 09:24 AM PST

Liberal newspaper columnist, Leonard Pitts, today says he won’t Twitter. Ever. Works for me. The only thing Pitts and I agree on in this particular case is in his column’s last line:

I will never Twitter you. In the first place, you have better things to do. In the second, I am not that interesting.

It’s not just liberal Pitts. I heard our local Libertarian radio host this morning disparaging Twitter, too. They don’t get it. They condemn it because some people misuse it to broadcast the banal aspects of their lives. Hey, movies, telephones, newspapers, TV, email, blogs, all communication tools have been misused at some point in time.

And, they condemn it because they don’t take the time to figure it out. Luddites!

Scott Hepburn has an excellent response to Pitts’ screed. Hepburn says,

Yes, Mr. Pitts, some people actually accomplish things via Twitter. We’re growing businesses, finding jobs, raising money for charity, planning conferences and engaging in ethics debates.

I’m going to help out the Luddites. Sometime back we took a look at the tactical business use of Twitter, and we provided a list of the top 8 links on the business value of Twitter.

I welcome your thoughts on Twitter. Is it just a fad for broadcasting the banal, or does it have real value?

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: