Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Enough with the cutesy cell phone ring tones!


Jim Meisenheimer's latest newsletter talks about Professional Cell Phone Etiquette:

9 Cell Phone Etiquette Tips For Salespeople

Do you know what cell phone etiquette is?

Here's what it's not!

Do you remember life before cell phones? I do!

Do you remember where the bank of telephones were located and where they weren't located? I do!

Could you find telephones at every table in every restaurant? I don't think so!

Could you find telephones for everyone in hotel and rental car shuttle buses? I don't think so!

Could you find telephones on escalators and elevators? I don't think so!

Could you find telephones anywhere other than an obscure place where your telephone conversation couldn't be heard by all? I don't think so!

I believe it's rude and obnoxious to force people to listen to your private conversations.

Now having said all this I fully realize my little rant is not going to change the world. However I feel better getting it off my chest.

Here are 9 cell phone etiquette tips for salespeople and entrepreneurs. These tips are meant to be constructive and helpful.

1. Get rid of the cutesy and loud ring tones. Choose vibrate over the ring tone.

2. Turn off your cell phone when going to a meeting, a restaurant, a church, a movie, and yes even a sales call.

3. Keep your distance from other people. Allow 10-20 feet from the closest person.

4. "Can you hear me now?" Everyone can hear you now. The technology is so good you can actually talk at a lower volume and still be heard. So unless somebody says, "I can't hear you" you don't have to raise your voice to talk on your cell phone.

5. "We just landed, I'm waiting to get off the plane." So what and who really cares?

6. Do you really need to use your cell phone behind closed doors in the washroom?

7. Using your cell phone in a restaurant is rude. Bring a book instead.

8. It's stupid and dangerous to be on your cell phone while jogging, biking, and rollerblading - yet I see people doing it every day.

9. It's risky business using a cell phone while driving at any speed. There are so many people who are talking and driving, you just might want to pay more attention to your driving. Have you ever had a "Close call" while you were talking and driving? Enough said.

Cell phones are a phenomenal resource for salespeople and entrepreneurs. You can't control how other people use their cell phones, you can however make better use of your cell phone.

Finally, I wouldn't be too quick to give a gazillion people your cell phone number. Everyone who has your cell phone number, including family, friends, business associates, sales prospects, and even your best customers expect a return call within an hour.

It's impossible to take control of your time and your life when hundreds of people have your cell phone number. You can't be proactive when you're tethered to your cell phone being reactive.

It's your life and your time is limited. If you give it some thought, I'll bet you can take back control of your time and your life.


Sphere: Related Content

No comments: