Saturday, January 03, 2009

Help Buyers Spread the Word

Looks like I'm doing a Help theme today.

Got this in my email from MarketingProfs.com this week:

You've Got to Read This

In a post at his Damn, I Wish I'd Thought of That! blog, Andy Sernovitz recounts discovering something unusual when he opened the advance proof of a book written by Jack Covert and Todd Satterson; at the top of the package sat a pair of postcards designed for word-of-mouth promotion. Despite receiving four or five books a week, says Sernovitz, "This is the first time I've ever had an author make it easier for me to recommend it to a friend."

The postcards' slightly cheeky copy encourages enthusiastic readers to check the box that best completes this statement: I'm excited to tell you about The 100 Best Business Books of All Time because …

  • "You're a business book fan."
  • "My book is one of The 100 Best Business Books of All Time!"
  • You need "a new solution to your current business dilemma."
  • Finally, the authors provide an "other" box provides space for senders to fill in their own reason.

"[The postcards] are funny, simple, and will get used," notes the perspicacious Andy Sernovitz.

The Po!nt: "When your customer opens a package," asks Sernovitz, "how are they going to tell someone? How are they going to tell 10 people? How much money would you make if 10% of existing customers made one referral when they receive an order?"

Source: Damn, I Wish I'd Thought of That! Click here for the post.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: