Saturday, May 17, 2008

Leo & CRAIG

Update: I need a proofreader at times. The other day I posted this with some minors typos and one big mistake. I referred to Craig as Chuck.

Craig was kind enough to thank me and tell me about my error at the same time.

And now, one more time, here's the edited version of Leo Burnett & Craig Graber:

I bought another book this month from Jeff Gitomer. Not because I need more reading material, but because, I like Jeff's writing and I wanted the free gifts.

There were something like 20, 30, 50 or more special offers that I would get the link to, if I bought the book.

One of those was to a guy I'd never heard of before, Craig Garber. Now I'm on his mailing list. (My choice, by the way.)

Today I wanted to share with you, in its entirety the latest email from Craig. And if you subscribe, tell him I sent you.

Hi Scott,

Leo Burnett was the founder of the Chicago ad agency that
ultimately became Leo Burnett Worldwide, one of the world's
biggest and oldest ad agencies. Burnett was personally
responsible for creating some of the most well-known
consumer branding campaigns, like the Jolly Green Giant...
the Marlboro Man... Charlie The Tuna... Morris the Cat...
and Tony The Tiger.

Burnett was a genius, an outstanding ad man, and a pillar
of ethics.

He once said, "If you don't get noticed, you don't have
anything. You just have to be noticed, but the art is in
getting noticed naturally, without screaming or without
tricks."

Now this isn't so easy to do, and as a result, most people
go far overboard in their efforts to get noticed (which you
need to do), but... they go overboard in the wrong
direction. They think, "Sensationalism" is directly
related to getting noticed. And the thing is,
sensationalism IS directly related to getting noticed, but
it has nothing to do with "getting paid," which, in the
end... is what you REALLY want out of "getting noticed,"
isn't it?

So for example, in "real life," you'll have men and women
going overboard in their personal appearance to "get
noticed," but does it really bring them closer to their
goal? No doubt, the woman with a 38DD chest gets much more
notice than the woman with the 34C cup size, but does it
bring her what she wants?

For the very small minority, sometimes yes... but I believe
it doesn't for the majority.

And it's the same thing with your sales copy.

Being wild and crazy isn't how you want to get noticed, and
saying things like "Incredible!"... "Unbelievable!"... and
"Amazing!"... falls over your readers heads like water over
a ducks back at this point.

(Unless your target market is "absolute idiots," and unless
you're goal is to "make a sale," and not to "build a
business." And in case you don't know this, the savvy of
your marketplace IS directly related to your ability to
retain them as customers.)

Tapping into their hopes, fears and dreams with reassuring
optimism, and giving them hope, is the way to get noticed.
In fact, ultimately, hope... is really all we have to
offer, no matter what you're selling. Remember this.

If you want to see a cool video of Leo Burnett giving a
speech, you can find it on YouTube at
http://tinyurl.com/63m9ez

Oh, one more thing and this is important: The people who
handle my website, are frustrated because I don't use the
word "copywriting" often enough in these tips. However,
I've always felt the quality of my messages far outweighs
any "search terms" I'm trying to optimize for, with respect
to getting traffic. And call me old school, but as a
creative, the thought of compromising the integrity of the
messages I'm delivering, to suit the media I'm delivering
them over, just doesn't sit right with me.

Who knows, maybe I'm the idiot?

In any case, here's what I'd like you to do: I'd like your
help here. If you get something out of being on this
list... and if you feel the relationship you and I share,
is one of the better online relationships you have, then do
me a favor so I can shut my "web people" up: Please forward
this message to as many people as you possibly can over the
next 24 hours, and encourage them to sign up to these daily
tips by going to my home page at http://www.kingofcopy.com
or to my blog at http://blog.kingofcopy.com

I believe I'll be able to tell my "web people" they are
dead-wrong, and that I'll never have to "plot" or
"pre-scheme" what I'm writing.

And in the off chance they're right... let me say this:
copywriting, copywriting, copywriting.

Peace.

Now go sell something, Craig Garber

P.S. Get TWO FRE.E copywriting critiques, SIX real-life
examples! In this month's Seductive Selling Newsletter,
I've got six ad examples included, so you can see exactly
how to get noticed... and maybe even more important -- how
NOT to! Test-drive it fre.e and get 15 bonus gifts (watch
the video about this) right here:
http://www.kingofcopy.com/ssnl

===
If you enjoyed this, pass it on to a few of your friends
and business associates, and if you have any comments about
today's message, it's important you leave them right here
on my blog: http://blog.kingofcopy.com

(c) Copyright, Craig Garber & kingofcopy.com(R) 2008

Craig Garber
kingofcopy.com (R)
3959 Van Dyke Road #253
Lutz, Florida 33558 USA
813-909-2214 Phone
954-337-2369 Fax
cgarber@KingOfCopy.com
http://www.kingofcopy.com

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: