Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Follow Up or Fall Down

Yesterdays sales tip was from Jeff Garrison. This one is too:

Follow Up to Familiarity to Trust to Sales

Posted: 13 Feb 2010 03:43 PM PST

Six months ago I got a call from a rookie insurance agent who had gotten my name off of Linked In. After introducing himself and finding out that I have had a business relationship with my financial adviser for over a decade, he could not wait to get off the phone. I was the one trying to ask questions which he tried to brush off probably so that he could go on to the next name on his list.

I have not received any follow up calls or emails from this person since that one phone call and now, I could not tell you his name.

Over the weekend the door bell rang. At the door was a new investment representative from a well known company out knocking on doors. We spoke for a few minutes, but I am happy with my investment adviser right now None the less, I asked her for her business card (because she might be interested in Sales Habitudes training at some point).

She did not have a business card, so she left me with a brochure that does not have her name on it. I gave her my business card and asked her to email me her contact information. I told her that if she joined the West Des Moines Chamber, she would see me there.

Two business days have passed and she has not sent me her contact information.

Here is the problem with both of these scenarios. At the time that these two "sales professionals" contacted me, I was not ready to buy. Neither are most prospects when we call on them the first time. However, an opportunity has been wasted.

Follow Quality Stamp Both should have a follow up plan to regularly "touch" me in order to create familiarity with who they are and their personal business brand. Over time they should seek to inform me of their expertise and relevancy such that I will come to trust in them

At some point, once I know who they are and have some trust in them, I may be ready to talk to them seriously about doing business. Additionally, opportunities to make introductions and to help their business may come along.

Think about this. In large sales (those exceeding $30,000), about half of the sales made are made between twelve and twenty-four months after initial contact. Every sales person that is not committed to nurturing their prospects for at least a year is losing a ton of money.

Do you know who is making the money? The sales person that calls your prospect twelve months after you did for the first time and right after you quit trying.

Do you have a plan for following up with those people you meet but who are not ready to buy?

Since writing this post, I received a follow-up card from the person that came to my door. No card or contact information was included, but she followed up. We'll see what happens next.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: