Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Simple Goal Plan

At my new job with Cirrus ABS, I am learning new software to stay organized and track progress, etc.

But when it comes to goals, those are pretty easy to describe. I can describe them in 10 seconds, or 2 sentences.

Jim Connolly wrote about this concept:

What everybody ought to know about achieving their goals

Posted: 16 Jul 2011 01:36 PM PDT

I was walking home this evening, when I decided to stop and take this photo with my phone. It’s not a great photo, but my photographic skills are not what this brief post is about.

This post is about the decision I made a decade ago, which made this photo of my walk home possible!

My lifestyle today sees me living in the countryside with my beautiful family, making more money than I need, working fewer hours than anyone I know; yet it all started off as a series of notes I scribbled down on a notepad.

The reason for this post, is that most of the stories you hear like this, where someone talks about how their life changed immeasurably for the better when they started setting goals, are written by people selling goal setting books, seminars or goal-setting software. I have nothing like that to sell you. I just have a few ideas to share, which I hope will inspire some of you or even one of you, to do as I did and massively improve the quality of your life.

FACT: You don’t need goal setting books, seminars or software!

The reality is that you don’t need to buy goal setting products. You simply need to know what you want and to make the decision to do everything you can, to make it happen. Learn what you need to learn, find the people whose help you will need and work like crazy. Chunk your main goals down into small achievable, measurable pieces, and use these as the stepping stones to get you from where you are, to where you want to be. Review your goals each evening and again once a week. Check you are on course and if you are not making measurable progress in reasonable time, make the necessary adjustments. That’s all I did and I can assure you, it works extremely well!

Many people fail to achieve their goals, because they get fixated on making sure they follow all the steps from some dumbass book. They try and work with those bogus, overcomplicated goal-setting strategies, then get so confused that they lack the motivation to make it happen! If you are hungry you don’t need a sophisticated sandwich making strategy. You will figure it out.

Something truly magical happens, when we commit our goals to paper and start working on making them a reality. As Earl Nightingale discovered: “We become what we think about.” When we think about our goals and then work to make them happen, we progressively move toward their attainment.

The challenge

Why not make today the day you decide to commit your major life goals to paper, followed by some initial plans and a commitment to do whatever is required to make your goals real?


Thanks Jim for keeping it simple.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: