Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sarah & Jim


Recently I was cleaning out my email.

I can be a pack rat.

I save stuff for the future. Like this story from Jim Meisenheimer that he wrote last year:

In Sales Little Things
Mean Everything

In sales little things mean everything. I've always
believed this to be true.

Once again, I was reminded how important the little
things in life are.

About 10 days ago I had the privilege of working with
a golf professional and a tennis professional.

You see, they're in business together and wanted to
sharpen their selling skills.

So I put together a 2-day program tailored to their
specific needs.

At the end of the first day I offered to take them
to dinner.

We went to the Stonewood Grill & Tavern.

Sarah was our server.

She was friendly, very attentive and had a big warm
smile. I asked her what kind of Cabernet was on the
wine list.

She mentioned several and I asked her which one she
recommended. She said there were two favorites but
she recommended the Coastal Oaks Cabernet.

Like you - I've been to lots of restaurants.

Sarah did something no one has ever done before.

She came back with two bottles of beer - for the golf
and tennis pros.

And she had two wine glasses and two bottles of
Cabernet. She said, "I thought I'd let you try both."

I tried both and like the one she recommended better.

She was happy and I was even happier.

You have to admit, what Sarah did was a little thing.

Okay - so how come no one else has ever offered two
samples to try for me?

Sure it's a little thing, but it had a big impact.

I just told 22,457 newsletter subscribers about my
experience with Sarah at the Stonewood Grill & Tavern.

If you stop and think about it, I'm sure there are
any number of little things you could be doing for
your customers.

Dozens of restaurants have closed in Sarasota during
this recession.

Most restaurants mistakenly think they're in the
"Serving food business."

Wrong - they're in the "Serving customers business."

It doesn't take brains to hang up a "Going out of
business" sign.

It does however take brains, passion, enthusiasm,
and enormous energy to exceed your customer's
expectations to keep them coming back for more.

Keep looking for ways to exceed your customers
expectations.

Make them laugh!

Surprise them often!

Learn how to upsell and cross sell.

Ask your customers "How can we do it better?"

Take pictures of your customers using your products.

Develop an attitude of gratitude with regards to
your customers.

Collect snail mail and e-mail addresses so you can
creatively keep in touch with your customers.

Regardless of your business always ask for referrals
and introductions so you can keep growing your
business - even during a recession.

And please don't ever forget - in sales little things
mean everything!



Favorite Quote


The secret of success is doing what you do well.

Longfellow


Let's go sell something . . .

Jim Meisenheimer

21 years . . .

522 customers . . .

72.7% repeat business . . .

Jim Meisenheimer | 13506 Blythefield Terrace | Lakewood Ranch, FL 34202 | 941-907-0415

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: