Friday, November 13, 2009

Out of Left Field


Another one from SalesDog:

What To Do When It Gets "Weird"
by Paul Castain

Imagine a meeting with a potential client. Everything is going well; then it happens without warning. The prospect throws a left hook in the form of an uncomfortable question and things get mighty weird.

Maybe it's a question about something your company once went through that needed to be fixed or why you're the third rep in 13 months to have your position. It can get much weirder as in these real-life situations: A man asks a female sales rep how long before she starts having babies and they lose her as a rep or the prospect asks about your political or religious beliefs.

Here are a few tips to help you navigate these wacky waters.

First, during your pre-call planning you should anticipate certain scenarios. For example, if I know we've quoted in the past with other reps, then questions about the reps or pricing could come up. If my company has recently gone through some changes, I might be asked about it. I need to be prepared.

Learn how to "buy" time
The difference between a good response and a poor one can be as simple as having an extra second or two to think. Here's how to buy time:

  1. Have them repeat the question.
  2. Put the onus of awkwardness on them. When someone asks a straight up rude question, try this. Look them right in the eye, pause confidently and say, "I'm happy to answer your questions and so I can better understand your perspective, what prompted that question?" This buys you time and allows you to regain control without being controlling. You may even find that they'll answer their own question.
  3. Ask for specifics. Once again, this buys you time but also allows you to understand the context in which the question was asked.
  4. If you are in a group setting and the question is going to cost you and the other participants' valuable time, offer to discuss it off-line.

Deal with the question head-on
I believe it was in Frank Bettger's "How I Raised Myself From Failure To Success In Selling" that I learned this really cool comeback for when someone badmouths my company. Hear them out and then simply ask, "If you were a part of the leadership team and you kept hearing things like that, what would you do?" Chances are they will say, "I'd make some changes." At that point you simply say, "That's exactly what we did and I'd like to discuss those with you. Would it make sense to add that to today's agenda or should we schedule some additional time when it's more convenient for you?"

You can also reframe the question so it's not so toxic. For example, I know some young sales reps that have been called out about their age. I train them to reframe the question: "Unfortunately the age part I can't help but let me tell you about the level of experience I have and, if by chance you are still uncomfortable, I won't take up any more of your time."

If the question is really personal, try thinking out loud. Last year, while visiting a customer in another state, someone asked me about both my religion and who I was voting for. I handled it by thinking out loud saying, "Wow, Bill, I'm thinking that question goes against everything that makes up my comfort zone so consider this a friendly changing of the subject."

Remember, as much as the other party is looking at you deciding if they want to do business with you, you should be looking back asking the same question. If you're hanging out with Mr. Obnoxious Question Asker, perhaps your crappy courtship is indicative of what would be an even crappier marriage. Let us not forget, your title isn't "Punching Bag" and you do have the right to respectfully part as friends.

Paul Castain is the Vice President of Sales Development for Consolidated Graphics. Paul has over 25 years of sales and sales leadership experience and has trained, mentored and coached over 2,000 sales and sales leadership professionals. You may email Paul at CTSTrainer@yahoo.com.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Paul Castain said...

Thanks Scott!

Nice of you to post this!

Respectfully,
Paul Castain