Friday, February 15, 2008

How to turn a disaster into a.....


Well, what is about to happen at Starbucks on February 26th, could either turn out to be fatal, or a resurrection of the ailing coffee giant.

Here's the announcement from their website:


"...Launching the next phase of Starbucks ongoing efforts to transform the company and renew its focus on the customer, Starbucks today announced an historic in-store education and training event for its more than 135,000 store partners (employees) across the United States. The company will close each of its nearly 7,100 company-operated stores in the U.S. on Tuesday, February 26 at 5:30 p.m. local time to conduct a nationwide education event, designed to energize partners and transform the customer experience. Stores with evening hours will re-open at 8:30 p.m....."


Several questions pop into my marketing head:

  1. Can they really re-train their employees in three hours to be the best in the business?
  2. Is this simply a publicity stunt to gather attention?
  3. Will the coffee or service be any better at 8:30pm compared to 5:30pm (after the training)?
  4. What about the other real reasons people visit a coffee shop that Starbucks still doesn't address?
  5. Why tell the world you're a screw up and we need to fix ourselves?
  6. What happens when my expectations are still not met after this training stunt?
  7. I was in a Starbucks yesterday, and they didn't tell me about this upcoming event. I found out about it after a phone call from one of their competitors told me about it today. I was even at the Starbucks website earlier today and didn't see anything about this.
  8. What if my local Starbucks is already doing a great job?

Maybe, this will work for them, but I have my doubts. History will tell us the results a year from now.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: