Thursday, May 13, 2010

What ya gonna say?


from Jill Konrath:

Brianna just hung up on me

Posted: 06 Apr 2010 10:51 AM PDT

I'm at my desk working. Right now. When the phone rang, I picked it up without looking who was calling.

"Hello," said the voice. "My name is Brianna. I need to reach the senior administrative person in your office."

She was crisp and efficient. When she finished, it was clear she expected me to direct her to the appropriate person. So far, so good.

"What's this in regards to?" I asked.

"An administrative audit. Would you please forward my call," she replied. It wasn't a question, but a command.

TashaJean123-flr"Can you tell me a bit more?"

"Just one minute," she said. I waited 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds. I heard papers ruffling in the background.

I thought maybe I'd get transfered, but Brianna ultimately came back: "I'm with XYZ company. I need to send her some important information regarding critical administrative issues."

"I'm sorry," I said. "Can you repeat that? (I was taking notes). After she did, I asked, "Such as?"

Clearly her employer hadn't prepared her to deal with all these questions. She hung up on me.

LESSON TO BE LEARNED

What I asked was not out of line. It was a typical prospect request. But poor Brianna wasn't ready for it.

If you want to be successful in sales, you need to be ready for all possible sales contingencies and practice how you'll handle them BEFORE they occur.

Photo from Tashajean123 at Flicker

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: