Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Social Media for Working Folks

From Drew:

How social media has changed my world

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 11:27 AM PST

96432322 When I get into a conversation about social media -- one of the questions people ask is "how do you find the time?" The truth is...I can't afford not to find the time. It's simply a part of my life/routine now.

Why? Because like the other things that are a part of my life -- it matters.

It adds value.

Deborah Chaddock Brown recently wrote a post about the 7 things she loves about social media. She then asked a few of us to do the same.

(By the way...I'm pretty sure you could make the exact same 7 statements. If you couldn't -- I challenge you to figure out how to change that ASAP.)

Thanks to social media, I'm smarter: Never before have I had more information at my fingertips. And when I have a question or want more -- I just comment and voila, I get more.

Thanks to social media, I'm better connected: Social media removes artificial barriers. Bloggers, Tweeters, authors, experts -- all willing to pick up their phone, answer an e-mail or fire back a text. Incredible.

Thanks to social media, I'm more informed: Different from smart -- this is about immediacy. Remember when we had to wait for the evening news? That seems so archaic now.

Thanks to social media, I'm speaking across the country: Sure, I was doing this before social media...but now it's much easier. Conferences and event organizers find me rather than me having to market myself to them. I'm not longer a stranger -- I'm Drew from the Marketing Minute blog.

Thanks to social media, I'm an author/editor of 3 additional books: Age of Conversation I, II and soon to be released III. If I had not met my friend (and co-editor) Gavin Heaton from Australia -- it would have never happened. Not to mention meeting the 200+ authors from all three editions.

Thanks to social media,I'm more accessible: I love that people reach out to me on Facebook, LinkedIn, via e-mail and sometimes -- just pick up the phone. There's probably not a city in the world where I couldn't travel and find a reader, collaborator and SM friend to grab a drink or get help if I needed it.

Thanks to social media, I've met all of you: I can't imagine not knowing you. Or not seeing you at a conference and getting a huge hug. Or getting a direct tweet with a question or atta boy now and then.

Social media has not only changed my world... it has rocked my world!

Thanks for being part of the ride!

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: