Sunday, November 01, 2009

The Customer Service Value of Twitter


I have been using Twitter for about a year. And I am a big fan of it, not because I want to know what you had for lunch, but because of some of the more valuable uses. This is from the Church of the Customer Blog:

Twitter: the killer app for customer service

Posted: 22 Oct 2009 10:31 AM PDT

"Hello, this is Sam Kaufman from the AT&T Internet Executive Office, and I am calling about your tweets."

That's what I heard yesterday after posting a few tweets about my less-than-stellar customer service experience with an AT&T DSL technical support rep. The rep was trying to diagnose my DSL problems and after telling me to stay on the line for 10 minutes, he never returned after 30 minutes. I hung up. He never called back.

With a few hours of my AT&T tweet, @ATTJohnathon, a customer care rep on Twitter contacted me, asking if he could help. I DM'ed him my account number as he requested and he passed it on to Sam. Turns out Sam is part of the Customer Advocacy Center, where escalated customer complaints are sent. Sam says he has recently started receiving tweets from the AT&T Twitter team for follow-up.

AT&T is on board with social media for customer service. In addition to the five customer care reps on Twitter, the company has 23 social media channels on Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, Posterous and blogs.

Comcast may have been the first high-profile company to use Twitter for customer service, but now others are seeing the benefits as well, such as DirectTV, Wells Fargo, Alaska Airlines and FourSquare.

Twitter is the killer app for customer service. Companies can discover aggravating service problems by using a variety of tools to listen on tweets mentioning their name. A response can be nearly immediate.

It's good word of mouth, too. Mediocre service is such a standard that any form of pro-active Twitter customer service is worth talking about.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: