Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Pizza Hut knows how to service their Customers



Straight from my e-mail is this wisdom from Art Sobczak:

This Week's Tip:
This Is Even More Important Than
GETTING the Sale

Greetings!

Everyone has their customer service horror
stories...how they were treated unbelievably
poorly by someone they were trying to give
their money to, or already had.

My focus each week is primarily on sales,
but yet, without great service, our efforts
can be "one and done," one sale and that's
the last we see of the customer. Clearly not
what we want.

So, this week, I have invited my good friend,
and a top customer service expert, speaker,
and trainer, Lisa Ford to share some ideas
on customer service we can all use.

Also, Lisa has provided a few video snippets,
both instructional and humorous, that you
will want to take a look at. See them here:

http://www.businessbyphone.com/lisa.htm


This Is Even More Important
Than GETTING the Sale

By Lisa Ford

You work pretty darn hard to get a customer.

But what do you and your company do to
keep customers, which is where the real
profit is?

I went to my bank to close all SIX of my family's
accounts. The teller asked why, and I said,
“Poor service.”

The teller promptly summoned over a manager—
whom I had met for the first time in banking there
for six years—who proceeded to ask about the
poor service.

Maybe you’ve experienced something similar.
I explained that despite banking there regularly
for over six years and having six accounts, no
one ever acknowledged me or knew me by name,
and tellers would often chat with each other while
handling me transactions as if I wasn’t even there.

The icing was when a teller demanded to see my
ID when I was trying to make a DEPOSIT into my
own account. The manager, instead of listening
carefully, came up with excuses for each example
of poor service. Instead of listening, he was formulating
his defense with each answer.

You are most likely in a very competitive business
with others offering the same products at about
the same price. In this marketplace, your products
and services can not be your difference, your
service must be the difference. Even if that is not
your job title. Customers are more savvy, sophisticated,
informed as well as picky and demanding. That means
you must deliver what customers want and be really
good at handling the challenges of providing good
customer service.

I am still amazed that most often I receive very
mediocre and average service. Most businesses
“process” customers, as opposed to serving them.

Everyone seems to be interested in getting me as
a customer but few do much to keep me. Instead
they irritate me by acting as if they don’t know
anything about me even though I have done
business with them repeatedly.

One that does get it—and gets my business in
return—is Pizza Hut. When I call my local Pizza
Hut for a delivery, they ask for my phone number
and then confirm it is me who’s calling. Then they
say, “Ms. Ford, would you like a large thin crust
with pepperoni and mushroom like you ordered
last time?”

Wow! If Pizza Hut can do this, then why can’t
everyone else? My expectations suddenly change
with one question from Pizza Hut.

If you want to stand out in a crowded, competitive
marketplace, and get your customers to continue
to buy from you, to be raving advocates for you,
give them what they want. These four points are
quite simple.

1. Customers want you to listen. Show them respect.
Hear their unique needs. It takes focus and energy.
For example, do you ever find yourself listening to
the first few words of what your customer or prospect
says, then you tune out and begin formulating what
your response will be, even before they've finished?
Dangerous, and potentially costly. I suggest you
engage in “naïve listening,” which is l listening as if
you did not already know the answer (unlike my ex-
bank’s manager).

2. Customers want you to show you know them.
When have you thanked them for doing business
with your company for the last 6 years? Pizza Hut
recognizes me, the bank did not. One still has
my business.

3. Customers want you to pay attention to the
details. Use their name, call back when promised,
choose your language carefully and create an
experience because you are passionate about
customer service! That’s not rocket science, is it?

4. Customers want you to remember it is their time
and money. You are not doing them a favor. They
are doing you one. Don’t forget it.

Customer satisfaction means relying on the basics.

They work every time. The problem is we make it
all too complicated. Yes, we need customer
relationship management strategies, customer
“engagement” and a customer-centric focus. But
we don’t have the right to go there until we deliver
the basics first.

I speak at many company meetings where the slogan
for that gathering is something like, “The Year of the
Customer”. I always wonder what year is NOT the
Year of the Customer?
_________________________________________________

To see Lisa on video, sharing a few more customer
service stories and tips, go to
http://www.businessbyphone.com/lisa.htm

_________________________________________________

QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"Being on par in terms of price and quality only gets you
into the game. Service wins the game."

Tony Alessandra

Go and have your best week ever!

Contact: Art Sobczak, President, Business By Phone Inc. 13254 Stevens St.,
Omaha, NE 68137,
(402) 895-9399

If this issue was forwarded to you and you are not yet getting these free
weekly e-mailed sales tips, send an email to
TelEHotTips @ businessbyphone.com. Please put "JOIN" in the subject line.

Please Pass this Issue Along to Friends, Co-Workers,
Customers ... Anyone Who Could Benefit.

They'll appreciate it, and so will I!


Or, simply have them go to www.BusinessByPhone.com and enter the email address.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: