Thursday, October 18, 2007

Email tips

A few years ago I bought a domain name that was based on my e-mail identity: ScLoHo. (Ask me if you want to know the origin of ScLoHo). This was the first step of moving away from a semi-professional to a full fledged professional. If you are still using Yahoo, Hotmail, G-mail or those types of email addresses for your professional business, you are hurting your image.

Next though, came the problem of spam. Although my Scloho.net account goes through Yahoo, and I have become very comfortable using Yahoo's services, their spam filtering was terrible.

After some research, I decided to add another step and that involves forwarding my e-mail to a G-mail account and let their spam filters do their stuff. It has been amazing. On October 17th, 200 Spam messages that were NOT caught by Yahoo, but were filtered by G-mail. And best of all, the G-mail account cost nothing and the more I use it, the more I get used to it.

One more tip. Do not mistakenly spam folks that you haven't met. Let me explain. There are a couple of local networking groups that I attend. One of them I had not been to in at least 4 months. Once a week, I get a reminder about the meeting time and place, which is fine. However, I got an email from a new member of this group that I had not met yet and he copied and pasted all the email addresses that were in the weekly reminder email and then sent an email to all of us that was inappropriate.

The e-mail came off as a sale pitch,

Good Evening!
It was such a pleasure meeting with you at the XXX XXX Leads Group! I had a great time, and being my first time at this networking meeting, etc.

Since I had never met this person, due to my not being at this Leads Group the last 4 months, it was an inappropriate email for me, and sounded like spam. I wrote him back and told him how to do follow up, using the business cards from the people he actually met, and to personalize his emails. There is a way to send emails to those on the list that he had not yet met, and it is so important to make the right impression from the beginning, than to try and repair a tarnished reputation.

Happy e-mailing!

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: