Monday, October 08, 2007

Do you know your "stuff"?


Everyone of us have natural aptitudes towards certain types of work. Hopefully the work that you do uses some of your natural aptitudes, or at least is not contrary to those aptitudes.

If you have never taken an aptitude test, or haven't taken one in awhile, you should do it. Just google it or you can go here and play around.

Hopefully, the results of the test will confirm what you already know about yourself. Perhaps, you'll have a better understanding of why you do things or why you don't like to do other things. This is one of the "stuff"s that you should know.

However, when I started writing this post, it was a different kind of "stuff" that I was thinking about. Most of us have a purpose, a calling, a profession, or at least a job. How well do you know your "stuff" that allows you to be good at what you do?

I don't care if you are a "natural" at it, there is always room to be better. I friend of mine that moved 22 hundred miles west recently used to challenge me, and me him, to keep fresh, keep learning, keep sharpening our skills so that we would be better at the "stuff" we did.

Yesterday I was the discussion leader of a small group. I had a week to prepare, since I had volunteered. And although I have done this countless times in the past, I still needed to prepare. Yes, I could have winged it, and perhaps no one would know, but I knew that the extra effort would be worth it.

So how about you.... Do you know what your "stuff" is? Are you taking the time and effort to get better and better and better?

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: