Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Connections, the truth behind "Networking"


Sometime some where, someone will invite you to a "networking meeting". And if you are lucky, it will be a good meeting for you to attend. How do you get lucky? Create your own luck.

Also, you should understand what these networking meetings are all about.

When I returned to sales a few years ago I would see and meet prospects, one at a time. A couple of 45 minute meetings in the morning, a couple more in the afternoon and I was limited to between 4 and 6 of those types of meetings a day.

Then a couple of times, I was invited to a networking meeting. The first was by a client that wanted me to address his group on the subject of advertising. I decided to focus on something that everyone in attendance could implement that week that did not cost them anything. Instead of advertising, I spoke about marketing. I picked a topic that everyone would have in common, and that is how they handle their incoming phone calls from current and potential customers. After that meeting, A couple of the business owners thanked me for helping them consider something that they were overlooking that could help them get more business.

Since that first meeting, I have done business with 4 of those business owners. I spent money with 2 of them, and 2 of them spent money with me. That was the result of one introductory meeting and appropriate follow up.

About 9 months after that first meeting , I was invited to be a guest at another meeting with a different organization. This time it was a more structured meeting with an organization that had membership requirements and had a different goal in mind. That different goal is what I believe makes todays networking organizations work for their members. What is the different goal?

The goal is to network. Many so called networking groups have their members trying to sell to each other and that's about it. Instead, the most successful networking groups are all about forming connections and relationships.

Here's how it has worked in my life. I offer a service. If there is someone in the group that knows someone that can use my services, then "connect us". This is a referral. Yesterday while I was meeting with a business owner, he mentioned to me an area of his business that he wants to expand but he does not have any experience in that area. It just so happens that I know someone that may be a good fit to join his company and help him expand. I told Mr. Business Owner about this "someone" and even gave him an extra business card of this "someone". Today, I am going to send an email to both of these people to connect them and if I need to, I'll even arrange a meeting with the 3 of us.

What do I get out of this? Maybe nothing. That's not the point. Maybe both of these men or one of them will be a future customer of mine. But more importantly, I may get a referral from one of them sometime in the future for someone that does need to spend money for advertising and marketing. That's why the networking that is the most successful is about Connections and Relationships, not just a transactional sale.

These relationships take time and energy. Yet, it was demonstrated to me last week, and the week before too, what happens when you develop relationships like what I'm talking about.

Last week at lunch, I had two people from my past come up to me in the restaurant and want to set up meetings for ways that I might be able to help them. There was a lawyer, a Realtor, a banker, and a semi-retired business owner, that all came to me.

Even yesterdays meeting was as a result of networking, where the business owner called me.

Make connections, build relationships, and over time the money will follow.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: