Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Are you Sticky?


From Jim Meisenheimer:

Your Words
Are They Made To Stick


Your Words - Are They Made To Stick?

Do your words have sticking power?

I've always believed that the principle tool salespeople rely on to sell their products and services is words.


Chip and Dan Heath wrote an incredible book in 2007 titled, "Made To Stick."

I really enjoyed reading this book. So much so, that I have eight typed pages of notes.

Yesterday, I was reviewing these notes and they gave me some ideas for this week's newsletter.

But first a few examples of words that stick.

Last week Bernadette, my wife, and I stopped at Staples for a few supplies. We were greeted at the door by one of their salespeople who was handing out FREE PC tune-up coupons.

As he handed us a coupon he said, "It's an energy drink for your computer."

His words had sticking power. He used seven words to describe Staples free tune-up.

Here's another example I remember. I remember it, because I can't forget it - the words have sticking power.

About six years ago I was doing a one-day sales training program in Phoenix. I completed the room service order form for a continental breakfast and asked that it be delivered at 6:30 AM.

At 6:25 AM my phone rings. I answer and say, "Hello."

The caller then says, "Room service - I'm ready if you are!" It must be something magical about using seven words if you want something to stick.

As a professional speaker and sales trainer I've stayed at more than 1400 hotels during the last 21.5 years. I always order a room service breakfast.

During these 21.5 years no one else has ever announced my room service with such distinction and clarity, "Room service - I'm ready if you are!"

Back to the book – “Made To Stick."

Here's a list of some of the ideas I took away from the Heath Brother’s book – “Made To Stick.”

Think about this. Are your ideas born interesting or made interesting?

Why do some ideas succeed while others fail?

Simplicity - to strip an idea down to its core, we must be masters of exclusion. Why use 15 words when seven words will work and stick.

The more we reduce the amount of information in an idea, the stickier it will be.

Our messages have to be compact, because we can learn and remember only so much information at once.

An old advertising maxim says you got to spell out the benefit of the benefit. In other words, people don't buy quarter inch drill bits. They buy quarter inch holes so they can hang their children's pictures.

And one more for the road. One of the worst things about knowing a lot, or having access to a lot of information, is that we’re attempted to share it all.

When you're calling someone for an appointment, what are you saying that creates intentional stickiness?

Before a sales call, have you ever thought about what you want your sales prospect or customer to remember? What will you say, during your sales call, that's made to stick?

You've heard that less is more. Which is more likely to stick, less or more?

If you want to be remembered by your sales prospects and customers do something that's memorable and say something that sticks.

Wrap your sales presentations in Velcro if you want your ideas and benefits to stick.

Why be ordinary, when with a little extra effort, you can be extraordinary?

Skip the sales babble, say something that’s made to stick.

You can go here to learn more about this incredible book.

Jim Meisenheimer. 13506 Blythefield. Lakewood Ranch. FL. 34202
941-907-0415. jim@meisenheimer.com. http://startsellingmore.com

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: