Sunday, October 18, 2009

Say What??


From Art:
I Hope You Do Not Use Corporatespeak

Greetings!

Here's a call I received at my office:

"Art, this is Joe Collins with Data International. We're
the most respected provider of data funneling (or something
like that--I had never heard the term before). We work with the
IBM's, AT&T's ...,"

Huh?

The guy lost me already, but I let him go on for at least
90 seconds, nonstop, with his droning. I was not a prospect,
and even if I were, I wouldn't have been interested based on
this opening.

On the phone you have about 10 seconds or less to
capture a listener's attention, break their
preoccupation with whatever they were doing when
you called, and place them in a positive, receptive
frame of mind to share information with you and listen
with an open mind. Therefore, you don't want to muddy
up your call with wasted words, or meaningless words.

It amazes me how sales reps (and many companies in
general) use "corporatespeak": slogans and overused,
meaningless words to describe what they do. For example,

-"cost-effective," as in, "We provide cost-effective
products."

-"leading," or "premier," as in, "We're the leading company
in this field."

-"solution provider, as in, "We're a solution provider."

-"meet your needs, as in, "I'd like to discuss how we can
meet your needs."

(Here's a funny quiz that gives actual empty slogans
created by corporate PR people and you try to pick what
the company actually does
http://contentfactor.com/quiz/quiz.html )

Here's another one:

"Ms. Prospect, Josh Verbose with E-Commerce Applications.
We're the premier solution provider of cost-effective e-commerce
systems. We help companies by facilitating their migration into
electronic marketing by leveraging their options to meet their
e-commerce needs."

Uh, ok.

Here are a couple of fundamental ideas to keep in mind before
and during your calls.

-Know who you're talking to, both company and position-wise.
The guy calling me was clearly not talking to a prospect. To avoid wasted
time, energy, and resistance he could have simply said to my marketing
person here,

"I want to be sure that what I have would be of some interest for your
company. Please tell me ...," followed by some qualifying questions.

-Use clear terminology to quickly create interest. Let me say this slowly:
you have just several seconds to create interest at the beginning of a call.
You do this by alluding to what you might be able to do for them, and then
asking a question.

So be simple with the hint of the result you could possibly provide. For example,

"Art, with other speakers, trainers, and authors, we've helped them take their
database of existing customers and increase by two-to- three times their amount
of repeat business . I'd like to ask a few questions to see if it would make sense
for us to speak further."

Along the same lines, avoid stilted words when simpler ones will do.
For example,

"use" instead of "utilize"

"talk" instead of "have a dialogue"

"help" instead of "facilitate"

Examine your own language, both in your openings, and in all parts of your call.
Are you creating resistance instead of interest? If so, change it today.

I'll show you exactly how in my one-hour audio seminar on how to develop
interest-creating openings, and I will personally review your opening/voice
mail message and give suggestions for improvement. Check out the details
at
http://www.businessbyphone.com/teleseminar2.htm

Go and Have Your Best Week Ever!

Art


QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"More people fail because of lack of purpose than do because
of a lack of talent."
Bill Sunday


Contact: Art Sobczak, President, Business By Phone Inc. 13254 Stevens St.,
Omaha, NE 68137,
(402) 895-9399. Or, email:arts@businessbyphone.com

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: