Monday, May 11, 2009

Starbucks: Members or Customers?


If Starbucks was an exclusive, not a mass apeal product, membership might work. First, look at what Seth Godin says, then I'll follow up:

Do you have customers or members?

If you changed your model to have members instead, what would that look like? If people had to subscribe, or be admitted, or apply... and if you had to please the membership, not convert new strangers.

The web likes businesses that have members.

I (and others) have had a long running disagreement with Starbucks due to their lack of free WiFi among other things.

I will buy their white mocha, but I don't care for their brewed coffee. I was talking over the weekend again about this with a friend while sitting in a local coffee shop and we even twittered about it.

Starbucks saw the tweet and suggested we apply for membership to their rewards club. Again, too many hoops to jump through for something that I can get better elsewhere.


Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Andy said...

You're so right. I used to go to Starbucks, because the downtown one was convenient to my house. Then I realized how hard it was to actually get signed into the wi-fi. I don't know if it was my Mac computer or if I just had some kind of brain malfunction, but I just couldn't get on.

Plus, their brewed coffee isn't great. It's not terrible, and it does the trick, but I've since learned to appreciate the fine local shops like Friendly Fox, Old Crown, and of course, Firefly. I just wish they were downtown! (I don't like Higher Grounds at all.)