Saturday, February 07, 2009

Words


I had a sales rep that brought me to a meeting with a potential client and introduced me as his, "Boss who is here for the kill."

Nobody died except for me from embarrassment, and that reps sales career died a few weeks later.

Art Sobczak has more on the words we use:

THIS WEEK'S TIP:
Do These Words Make a Difference in
the Answer You Will Get?

Greetings!

A reader emailed me in response to a trial close
(or temperature-checking question) he had seen
in one of my newsletters or books. It was,
"It's a pretty good offer ... what do you think?"

His comments:

"You know how much I like your sales tips and
advice. I use and teach it every day, so you
understand I'm not picking on you. Be that as it
may, your line above is weak. The answer could
be a 'no' or 'I don't know, what else can you do?'
I suggest 'There's a lot of real value in this
offer, how do you feel about it so far?' I always
want to know how they feel not how they think."

I believe I wrote a tip years ago actually
recommending saying the same thing: asking people
how they feel vs. think, supposedly because you'll
get a better answer.

But now that I'm older, wiser, and with thinner hair,
I've revisited that thought and come up with another view.
Realistically, would someone actually go through a
thought process where they say, "Hmmm, he asked
what I think, therefore I won't say how I really feel,
and I'll give a different answer."?

I doubt it.

The most important factor here is what led up
to the question that put them into the frame of
mind they're at, at the very instant the question
is asked.

Let's face it, the closing or commitment
question simply gets them to divulge their mindset--
at that moment--it doesn't change it.

As salespeople--or in any role we play as
communicators, now that I think about it--there's
not one technique that magically and instantly
alters someone's total state of mind like a hypnotist.
(Although I get questions every day from people who
are searching for it.)

No, the real key to sales and persuasive success,
on the phone or face-to-face, is in the entire
PROCESS. Using the context of the
professional sales call, that process involves,

1. Your Opening. The result of a good one is
putting someone in a positive, receptive frame of
mind and moving them to the questioning phase
of the call.

2. Questioning. Here, we help move them more
into a frame of mind where they not only give
us information, but also think about their
problems, pains, or desires. Then they are
much more likely to be receptive to our next step.

3. Recommendation. Just like a doctor, we
prescribe the appropriate solution for their
situation. But notice, it comes after the
questioning.

4. Commitment. This is where we simply validate
everything that has taken place up to this point.
Theoretically, if we've done a stellar job thus
far, they would volunteer the sale--which does happen,
albeit not often enough for any of us. Therefore
we still do need to ask. But if I were a new
salesperson starting out, I wouldn't focus all of
my self-improvement time on learning "closing
techniques" at the expense of the other steps in
the process. After all, if a person went up to a
stranger in a bar, it wouldn't make much difference
whether he said, "How would you feel about marrying
me?" or "What would you think about marrying me?"

On the other hand, if they were dating for quite
some time and the person was wildly in love with
the other, it wouldn't matter how the question was
ultimately phrased, as long as it was asked.

Don't get me wrong, incorrect word usage can cause
your sales demise, and I've helped lots of people
make plenty of money by choosing the right words
to evoke the emotions and actions they are looking
for. But successful sales is using the right words,
within the process. Do that, and I'm confident
that you'll ...

... have your best week ever!
Art

Contact: Art Sobczak, President, Business By Phone Inc. 13254 Stevens St.,
Omaha, NE 68137,
(402) 895-9399. Or, email:arts@businessbyphone.com

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: