Sunday, April 27, 2008

A New List for Selling

Last week I concluded a list of 50 Networking Tips from the Nametag Guy. Today, I'll kick off a new list of 26 Sales tips, The ABC's of Selling written by Harvey Mackay, plus some extra commentary. Each day I'll add another tip and include all the previous tips.

Let's get started:

The ABCs of Selling

By Harvey Mackay

Not long ago, I was listening as one of my grandchildren practiced his ABCs. He had a little picture book that helped him remember what the letters stood for, and he studied it intently, determined to be the first in his class to know all the letters and words. With his determination, I knew he would master the alphabet in no time at all.

As he worked, I started thinking about what those letters mean to me, after a lifetime in sales and years of helping young hopefuls get started in their careers. I didn't draw pictures, but these are the words my alphabet book would include:

Availability for your customers is essential, so they can reach you with questions, concerns or reorders.

With cellphones, email, instant messaging and text messaging increasing, you need to figure out how to be available for your clients. If you give your cell phone number to a client, expectations are that you will return a call within 90 minutes or less during business hours.

Also odds are that you will not be getting calls after regular hours, but realize that if you are not available, you may lose business. I urge all my clients to have a 24 hour contact number that people can reach if they must reach you. Leave a message on your voice mail, or forward your calls to your cell phone. It may result in one or two extra sales per month, because you were available.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: