Wednesday, December 12, 2007

How to Turn Setbacks into Success


Great article on attitude in my email today:

Kiss the Frogs: How to Turn Setbacks into Success
by Jill Konrath

The other day I was at the Olive Garden talking to a prospective client over lunch. He was telling me about all the challenges his sales organization was facing. Decisions were being delayed because of the economy. Competition was everywhere, cutting prices to bare bones to get the orders. His reps were frustrated, discouraged.

“If only they could all be like Paul,” he said, shaking his head in frustration. “Can you clone him?

I laughed, but my curiosity was piqued. “Tell me more,” I asked.

It seems that Paul was having a really good year, despite everything that was going on. He’d lost some business to competitors, but had won more than his share without major discounting. Even the numerous obstacles he encountered, which totally derailed the other sales reps, only set him back temporarily.

“Let me guess,” I interrupted. “Those setbacks almost seem to energize him. Right?”

My client, who was about to take a bite of fettucini, set down his fork. Looking at me quizzically, he said almost in a whisper, “How did you know? That is exactly what happens.”

I smiled slowly, but couldn’t keep the twinkle out of my eyes. I leaned forward and whispered back, “Paul kisses the frogs.”

My client burst out laughing. It certainly was not the answer he expected, but it’s the truth. Over the years I’ve met other Pauls and they are usually the top performers. What differentiates them from their colleagues is how they approach the setbacks (or ugly frogs) they invariably encounter in selling.

When setbacks occur, frog kissers like Paul reframe these obstacles into personal challenges. Rather than getting discouraged or blaming others, they ask, “How can I tackle this new situation? What other options can I try? What can I learn by kissing this frog?”

With their creative energies ignited, new options and alternatives emerge. Limitations become possibilities. They experiment with different approaches, willing to grow in the process. In doing this, frog kissers are often able to transform their setbacks into successes.

So, here’s my challenge to you. In the next month you’re likely to run into a few sales problems such as disinterested prospects, angry customers, delayed decisions, or cut-throat competitors. This time, instead of getting upset, go kiss the frogs.

That’s right. Kiss the frogs. I guarantee you that princely pay-offs are hidden inside.

Jill Konrath, author of Selling to Big Companies and founder of the Sales Shebang, helps sellers crack into corporate accounts, shorten sales cycles and win big contracts. She is a frequent speaker at national sales meetings and association events.
For more article like this, visit http://www.SellingtoBigCompanies.com .

Get a free Sales Call Planning Guide ($19.95 value) when you sign up for the Selling to Big Companies e-newsletter.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for publishing my article. You have lots of good info on you site and I'm honored to be included.

It would be nice if you could add my bio box to the bottom of the article with a link to my website:

Jill Konrath, author of Selling to Big Companies and founder of the Sales Shebang, helps sellers crack into corporate accounts, shorten sales cycles and win big contracts. She is a frequent speaker at national sales meetings and association events.
For more article like this, visit http://www.SellingtoBigCompanies.com .

Get a free Sales Call Planning Guide ($19.95 value) when you sign up for the Selling to Big Companies e-newsletter. 

THANKS AGAIN! Jill